For today’s post, I figured I’d go back to basics a little. Even if you’re an interior design expert, it should be worthwhile to review some general tips to refresh your memory. Without further delay, here are a few tips that might be helpful if you’re planning on changing up your home’s decor.
- Make sure artwork is hung correctly: This is one that can easily be overlooked when you’re putting up your favorite art in a living space. Different ceiling heights can skew your perception of how high or low a painting should be hung, but you should remember that the center of a painting should always be at about eye-level. Typically, this is about 56-60 inches off the ground. Once you pick a measurement, also be sure to stay consistent with that measurement if you’re hanging multiple pieces in a room.
- Have a centerpiece: When you’re designing an interior, odds are you have a particular piece that you think is going to be the chief attraction in that room. Plan the space around this centerpiece to best accentuate it, and don’t worry about other objects in the room becoming secondary to the centerpiece.
- Be careful not to overdo it with color: It might be tempting to fill your space with a bright, eclectic mix of colors, but you should probably stick to a more restrained palette. Some color is great, but too much of a good thing just leads to distracting noise rather than an eye-pleasing display.
- The rug in a room determines the approximate seating area: When you have a rug filling a living space, the furniture should fit either firmly on it, or at the very least, the front legs should fit. Having a much larger or much smaller sized rug compared to the rest of the living space will throw off the scale of the room.
- Explore your options when purchasing new furniture: In this day and age, there are so many places to go when you’re looking for new furnishings for your home, whether that means you’re going to a store or simply buying something online. So, before you go out and buy something on an impulse, take an extra minute to explore your options, because they’re certainly out there.
That about does it for now. There are plenty more design and decor aspects to talk about, but I think that about does it for now. Before I say goodbye, I’d like to mention a company called “Rug and Home“, Carolina-based furnishing retailer. If you’re looking for new decor and furnishings, they should be a pretty good place to start!
As a bonus, here’s a video about decorating with color scheme in mind: